- Analyzing a Shorty Story (no specific length…short stories located at the bottom of the document)
- Writing Assignment (750-1000 words MLA Format)
• Analyzing a Short Story
This post will be an exercise in finding textual examples and evidence from the text that prove what we are saying about the meaning. For instance, the content discussion about “The Story of an Hour” offered you quotation examples from the text when it was explaining the transformation of Mrs. Mallard. That is what you will be doing in this post.
Choose one of the short stories that we have read so far:
• “Story of an Hour”
• “The Storm”
• “August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains”
Discuss why and how it connects with one or two of the themes discussed in Unit 2:
• Love (filial, romantic, or platonic)
• The American Dream/Nightmare
• The Quest for Identity/Coming of Age
Use specific details from the text to support your point, including at least one direct quote.
Respond to at least 2 other students’ posts. Your initial post and peer responses should be substantive.
Writing Assignment–Topic: Analysis of a Short Story
• Format: You are required to use MLA style for all writing assignments. These assignments include the Summary Writing Assignment, the Focused Annotated Bibliography and the Final Researched Essay. Your instructor may also require MLA style for other essay assignments, including the midterm and final exams, and for discussion posts. Therefore, it is important that you understand how to use MLA style correctly.
Please refer to the Purdue Online Writing Lab for MLA formatting and style guide
• Length Requirement: 750-1000 words
• All sources must be cited
Write an essay that discusses why and how specific symbols are used to depict one or two of the themes from Unit 2 in a particular way. Your essay should incorporate details and quotes from the story (using parenthetical documentation with the author’s name), and you should use your own words to elaborate on the meanings of the details and quotes you use as evidence.
The themes to choose from are:
• Love (Romantic, Platonic, or Filial)
• The American Dream/Nightmare
• The Quest for Identity/Coming of Age
Stories To Choose From:
• Kate Chopin’s “The Story of an Hour”
• Kate Chopin’s “The Storm”
• Tobias Wolff’s “Powder”
• Ray Bradbury’s “There Will Come Soft Rains”
When writing your essay, the goal is to demonstrate what spin the story has on a particular theme. Be specific about the ways the theme is used and how the story’s use of symbols develops a deeper meaning to the theme. Provide details, including cited direct quotes from the story, but don’t forget that you must comment on the quotes you use to explain why they are significant.
As an example, one student might focus on how in Chopin’s “The Storm,” the passion between Calixta and Alcee is represented by the symbol of the rain storm and makes a social commentary on the theme of love. Love is a very general term, so this student should note that s/he is focusing on forbidden, or adulterous, romantic love in particular and comment on how that refines the broader theme. One appropriate thesis statement for this particular topic would be something similar to the following:
“Although Calixta loves Bobinot, she willingly has a passionate affair with Alcee in order to demonstrate that passion, represented by the storm, is ultimately a symbol of her own female independence.”
Then, you would contrast Calixta’s relationship with Bobinot with her relationship with Alcee in order to show that Calixta could simultaneously function as an efficient housewife and passionate lover to her husband if society at the time would allow such a woman to exist.
[Note: This thesis is provided as an example. Do not use it verbatim for your own paper; use your own excellent ideas!]
Love has many meanings, but interpersonal affection is at its core. Three categories of love are romantic love, filial love, and platonic love.
Romantic love is concerned with sexual attraction and attachment; romantic love is customarily between two people. Romantic love is a prominent theme in literature as well as in contemporary popular culture, yet oftentimes important literary works, such as The Scarlett Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, deal with conflicts that bar people from expressing their romantic love to one another because of a particular social regulation against the coupling. Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is an example of such social disapproval. In contemporary time, Taylor Swift has adopted the Romeo and Juliet conflict in her popular song, “Love Story.” For an example, watch her music video.
Filial love is the love of a child for one’s parent. The origins of filial love come from filial piety, often found in Eastern cultures and less so in American culture. Of course, filial piety incorporates love of one’s parents but also respect and total obedience, even as an adult. Parental obedience from adult children is an entrenched part of Asian cultures but not found as much in American culture. Taylor Swift’s song “The Best Day” is an example of filial love for her mother. Watch it and note the love and gratitude, but also note that obedience is not expressed.
In our contemporary sense, platonic love is the love of a friend or a non-sexual love. However, its origins from Plato are quite different. Plato wrote of love that was chaste but where a sexual attraction was felt. The attraction, however, was ignored for a higher spiritual enlightenment between the two individuals. The modern use of the term now refers to any love or close emotional affection where the sexual component is not present. Watch Bette Miller singing “Wind Beneath my Wings” for a version of friendship that highlights the elevation of the spirit, and/ or watch Bruno Mars video, singing “Count on Me.”
Alienation/Otherness is a theme in much contemporary literature where feelings of oppression or discrimination arise from a difference in race, gender, class or sexual orientation. Many modern literary works highlight a person’s inner struggles or a group’s social struggles with being categorized as “other” or outcast in society.
Non-heteronormative sexuality often makes individuals feel ostracized or alienated in society, so we frequently see both popular culture and serious literature employ sexuality as a main theme. Watch Macklemore’s video titled “Same Love”.
After the women’s movement in the 1970s highlighted the unequal status of women in American society, much literature focused on the exploration of this theme. However, you will note when you read Kate Chopin’s “Story of an Hour” in Unit 3 that long before the 1970s the theme of women’s social inequality was presented in literature. Watch No Doubt performing “Just a Girl.”
The discrimination against non-white races has been an important theme in literature since before, and especially after, the American Civil War. Holding true to the statement that the pen is mightier than the sword, literature has often highlighted and fought against the plight of racial prejudice and discrimination. Watch Bob Marley sings his song, “War,” from 1976.
The American Dream/Nightmare
The American Dream/Nightmare is a literary theme particular to America. A notion entrenched in Americans is that if one works hard enough one will have economic success. The dream, however, does not take into consideration all the other factors at play in the notion of economic success. Also, as immigrants came to America in the nineteenth century, they came with the idea of America as the land of milk and honey where all people had an equal chance at success. Realistically, this is not a factual dream. Many people can work extremely hard and still not get ahead economically. The working poor, for instance, live on minimum wages and are hard-pressed to get out of the cycle of poverty; whereas those born into economic privilege often work very little and live lavish lives. We also know that equality is indeed an unrealized dream in America; therefore, many literary works discuss the American dream turned into the American nightmare as their theme. Some of the works you will read in the course also focus on the loss of ethnic identity as immigrants assimilate into American culture.
The Quest for Identity/Coming of Age
The Quest for Identity/Coming of Age is a popular theme in both literature and contemporary entertainment. We all question who we are as we search for our own unique identity, yet we still long to be a part of a larger group, a whole. Much teenage entertainment focuses on the Coming of Age theme, but questioning who we are is a pivotal intellectual and emotional pursuit for people of all ages. The Catcher in the Rye, by J. D. Salinger, is a classic example of this theme. Another coming of age novel is To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. In a coming of age story, a young and innocent child or teen is faced with the realities of the world and thus comes to experience life outside his or her realm of innocence. For Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird, the racism of her community and the realization that her father may not be the completely perfect human being she imagines him to be are the lessons of experience that she learns.
Conformity vs. Rebellion
Conformity vs. Rebellion is another prolific theme in literature and contemporary culture. In fact, many coming of age themes or quest for identity themes challenge ideas of conformity. Themes, as with other ideas, often overlap in literature and do not stand as single straightforward notions on their own. A character may question if he should give in to peer pressure and follow the crowd or stand firm in his own beliefs and rebel against the majority. A poem by Emily Dickinson called “Much Madness is Divinest Sense,” speaks to this issue, suggesting that if you rebel against social rules you are deemed insane, but if you assent to the majority, you are deemed sane.
• “The Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin: http://www.vcu.edu/engweb/webtexts/hour/
• “The Storm” by Kate Chopin: http://www.lonestar.edu/departments/english/chopin_storm.pdf
• “Powder” by Tobias Wolff: http://www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/pdf/2014/261077.pdf
Symbolism and Setting
• “August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains” by Ray Bradbury: https://ia800505.us.archive.org/2/items/RayBradbury-SoftRains/There%20Will%20Come%20Soft%20Rains%20-%20Ray%20Bradbury.pdf
1. Assembling Concepts 1.1 Product Design Specification of fan cutting edge To viably build up a Product Design Specification for the Fan Blade, we have to right off the bat characterize the fundamental elements of the Fan sharp edge. The fundamental capacity of a fan is to cause successful wind current in a room and this ought to be practiced for a long utilization of quite a long while at different turns every moment. The nature of fans is appraised by their presentation in moving the air adequately and discreetly. This is observed by such factors as the pitch, length, and number of roof fan cutting edges, and their cycles every moment (rpms).The rakish edges of the roof fan sharp edges are named as the pitches which are especially significant for the powerful development of the air. The shape empowers the sharp edge to apply weight to the air before it and in this way the air is constrained downwards. In this manner the significant particulars required for our segment would be: Successful Air Flow Low Noise levels No Wobbling Sturdiness Light weight for low control utilization Ought not get rusted. Feel Minimal effort The higher the pitch the more is the substitution of air. Great quality roof fan cutting edges have a pitch of 12-14 degrees. Cutting edge pitches as low as 8 or 10 degrees prompts more unfortunate execution and in this way lower Air stream and higher clamor levels. While the short roof fan edges with least pitches can twirl at high speeds, they don’t make for much air flow and they are noisier than the kinds of fans with longer sharp edges and higher pitch however they turn all the more gradually. One of the issues individuals once in a while find with their roof fans is wobbling. While numerous individuals may feel that the wobbling is brought about by the engine, this is normally not the situation. The wobbling of the fan is generally brought about by sharp edges that are out of weight arrangement. This is because of the utilization of twisted, bowed, or unrivaled sharp edges. Another purpose behind wobbling is that the cutting edges might not have been in a bad way into the sections straight. Style are significant in the structure of a roof fan as the shading and configuration need to satisfy the vibes of the spot of portion. Various materials like strong wood, cross-covered facade and more affordable veneered consistent thickness sheets are utilized to render the roof fan cutting edges a shrewd and contemporary look. This additionally may incorporate a metal completion, or a wooden looks. Differentiation or reversible roof fan edges are another inventive expansion to the entire scope of roof fan cutting edge planning. Roof fans generally are not traded for some a years at a stretch. Along these lines they are required to be solid to withstand long use at different paces. In spite of the fact that a few plans of fan edges may devour low control at the expense of low wind stream, a superior structure would incorporate the utilization of a low weight material for the fan sharp edge. Rusting of metallic fan edges can cause unevenness in the adjusting of the fan sharp edges due to change in weight and it additionally will influence the toughness. In this way the cutting edges should be covered successfully with paint to avoid oxidation of the fan sharp edges. 1.2 Wooden and Plastic cutting edges in correlation with Aluminum edges The most generally utilized materials for making roof fan sharp edges are Wood, Plastic and Metal. We have settled on utilizing an aluminum sharp edge for our fan, yet let us likewise consider different materials as well. Wood had been customarily utilized as it is a light weight material that is effectively accessible. It additionally can be cut exquisitely to add magnificence to the feel of a home. It is realized that the ordinary sharp edge of a roof fan is made of compressed wood or strong wood. In the assembling method, such a sharp edge needs to experience many preparing steps, for example, cutting, planing, multi cleaning, completing the process of, painting and printing or covering with printed paper, and so forth. Additionally, every edge should at long last be gauged and three or four cutting edges of a similar weight must be chosen as a set for the pressing activity. In this way, the entire handling technique for a wooden sharp edge is very work concentrated and tedious, and subsequently over the top expensive. The wooden cutting edges are made of longitudinal portions of wood that have their sides covered together. Because of the warm cycling and operational pressure, the covered wooden edges may split along the length of the sharp edge. Under such sway the sharp edge could isolate into at least one pieces and send unsafe rockets about a room. The plastic cutting edge includes a sharp edge casing made by infusion trim or bite the dust throwing a monetarily accessible tensionable plastic or texture. This technique for making fan cutting edges enormously decreases assembling time and cost. The amassed sharp edge likewise has a controllable weight mistake falling inside a middle of the road run with the goal that the gauging and choosing methods performed before pressing can be significantly improved. The edge casing is mass delivered by plastic infusion shaping. The sharp edge plate can be pre-printed with different hues and structures, and afterward mass cut by a shaper, whereby the creation speed is extraordinarily expanded. Also, the cutting edge and edge plate can be amassed by methods for a particular gathering machine in a manufacturing plant or collected outside an industrial facility by contract so creation can be incredibly expanded with less work. Along these lines the assembling cost is incredibly diminished. The edge has an all out weight which is 40-half that of a regular wooden sharp edge. In this way, the intensity of the cutting edge driving engine can be diminished by the decreased weight. Accordingly, the expense of the engine just as of the sharp edge is brought down. Edges for regular roof fans have been produced from various materials in an assortment of shapes and sizes. For the most part, the earth wherein the roof fan is expected to work is a critical factor in going with drawings, the determination of the material for the cutting edge arrangement. Unbending materials, for example, wood or plastic are usually utilized on fans planned exclusively for indoor use, yet are inclined to twisting when exposed to long haul open air use because of the extraordinary vacillations in temperature and mugginess. In this way aluminum cutting edges which are produced using aluminum throwing appear to be perfect for open air use. 1.3 Suitable assembling process The wooden cutting edges are produced using various materials and are given a wide assortment of completions. The regular wood and painted sharp edges are produced using strong wood, cross-covered facade (compressed wood), and more affordable veneered steady thickness board. The completions incorporate characteristic, apparatus white, cherry wood, oak, pecan, burled camphor, faded oak, white, fake rock, rosewood, dark, high brilliance, hues, and some more. Many handling steps are included, for example, cutting, planing, multi cleaning, completing the process of, painting and printing or covering with printed paper, and so on. Hence the creation of a wooden cutting edge appears to be increasingly arduous and tedious. From our Product structure detail, the wooden cutting edges fulfill the states of being light weight, rust verification and having high stylish worth. Be that as it may, it isn’t sturdy as wood may retain dampness, and this may cause unevenness in the adjusting of the cutting edges. Utilizing a plastic sharp edge is viewed as more secure at that point utilizing a metal or wooden one, along these lines you needn’t bother with a cover over the cutting edge. In contrast to wooden sharp edges, a plastic cutting edge is made by Injection trim procedure and its creation isn’t relentless and tedious. The entire plastic edge can be made of one piece, not at all like a wooden cutting edge which is for the most part a gathering of wooden pieces stuck together. Because of the lower material and assembling costs and the simplicity with which they can be mass created, one-piece formed plastic aficionados of both the impeller and divergent or blower types are being utilized as air flowing methods in various machines, for example, hair dryers, car radiators, iceboxes. Despite the fact that such fans are moderately little and light, it is all things considered alluring that they be powerfully adjusted to inside precise breaking points. The technique utilized for getting dynamic parity has included the trim of a test fan in each shape pit, testing these formed fans for dynamic equalization and from there on machining ceaselessly material from chose regions of the form surfaces in this manner to build the heaviness of the segments of the fan framed by these regions to get a decent weight dispersion. The plastic cutting edge is very valuable as it fulfills a large portion of the Product plan details. In any case, it can’t be said to be solid as the plastic may twist because of higher temperatures subsequently influencing the parity of the sharp edges. In this way we see that a metal sharp edge produced using aluminum is perfect as it is tough and can be put outside to without being rusted. 2. Mechanical Principles The structure proporsal is as per the following. The Aluminum sharp edges are bolstered on a solid plastic plate at the base. They are fixed together by two firmly fixed screws one behind the other. The plastic plate is thus associated with the center of the fan by two screws. The heaviness of the Aluminum cutting edge is bolstered on the plastic plate. They are an aggregate of four cutting edges fixed symmetrically to the center point. 2.1 Mechanical standards identifying with the Aluminum Blade Our structure of the Ceiling fan with four aluminum plates would have the accompanying mechanical standards following up on it. Power acting downwards because of weight of aluminum sharp edge. Outspread power when the fan is in pivoting. Ordinary power of the plastic plate acting upwards Ordinary power of pushing air down misbehaving wards. Extraneous ordinary power from the jolts to the Aluminum sharp edge, which causes revolution Torque following up on the jolts because of the heaviness of the Aluminum cutting edges. 2.2 Analysis For an aluminum plate of measurements 14cm Ã-2.5cm the region of the plate is roughly 35cm. The thickness of the plate is around 0.1 cm. In this way the volume of the Aluminum sharp edge would be 3.5cm^3. The thickness of Aluminum is 2.7 gm/cc. In this way the heaviness of every Aluminum sharp edge is 9.45gm The RPM at which fans are normally expected to pivot is near>
Superior Essay Writers | Analyzing a Shorty Story was first posted on August 21, 2019 at 2:05 pm.
©2019 "Graduate Paper Help". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org