Critical Analysis Lab and Discussion Board: The Sociological Study of Social Problems
This lab and discussion explores the basics of the study of social problems.
In essay format, discuss each of the following things. Each one needs to be answered, using your textbook and material provided on Canvas:
- Discuss the definition of a social problem. What was considered to be the “most important social problem” the USA faces according to a Gallup Poll in 2017.
- What is the sociological imagination and why is it an important ability to have when studying social problems?
- Describe four theoretical perspectives and explain the cause of social problems from each perspective.
- Identify and describe the four major methods of conducting research Sociologists use to study social problems.
- Discuss, based on what you’ve learned so far, why you think maintaining the Sociological Imagination and objectivity may be very challenging when studying social problems. How can this be addressed/corrected?
Note: Essay format requires the use of complete sentences and full paragraphs to present your answers.