When working with families and groups the priority is for the social worker to understand the process that is taking place. In both situations there is the overt (clearly stated) dynamics and the covert (hidden) dynamics. The content (what is being said) in both settings is what is open and stated. The process (how it is being said) is the unspoken information; what is underneath the interaction is what the social worker needs to explore in both groups and family systems.
For this Discussion, watch the video segments of a group and a family session provided.
Post the following:
- Describe the group dynamic (communication, cohesion, social integration, influence) of the group shown in the required media.
- Explain how this group’s dynamics may influence treatment.
- A description of the family dynamic (communication, cohesion, social integration, influence) of the family shown in the required media.
- Explain how this family’s dynamics may influence treatment.
- Explain any similarities or differences when assessing dynamics in a group versus a family and how those dynamics may affect treatment.