In 1500 words, discuss the following:
1. Identify the different forms of the insanity defense.
2. Identify the most common insanity defense applied by the States.
3. Describe how often the insanity defense raised.
4. Discuss how a criminal defendant assessed for insanity.
5. Describe how a psychologist would be utilized as an expert witness to prove or disprove an insanity defense.
Use three to five scholarly resources to support your explanations.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
1. Read Chapters 8 and 9 in Contemporary Criminal Law.
2. Read “Witness Confidence and Witness Accuracy: Assessing Their Forensic Relation” by Penrod & Cutler from Psychology, Public Policy and Law (1995).
3.Use the website information to assist with the assignment for this Topic. Remember that processes may vary slightly from state to state.
4. Review the Offices of the United States Attorneys website to assist the assignment for this Topic.
5..Read “Expert Testimony and Jury Decision Making: An Empirical Analysis” by Cutler, Dexter, & Penrod from Behavioral Sciences & The Law (1989).
6. Read “The Case for Expert Testimony About Eyewitness Memory” by Leippe from Psychology, Public Policy, and Law (1995).
7. Read “How Reliable are Forensic Evaluations of Legal Sanity?,” by Gowensmith, Murrie, & Boccaccini from Law & Human Behavior (American Psychological Association) (2013).
8. Read “Cognitive Bias and Its Impact on Expert Witnesses and the Court,” by Dror, McCormack, & Epstein from Judges’ Journal (2015).
9. Read “Psychotherapists as Expert Witnesses,” by Brodsky from Testifying in Court: Guidelines and Maxims for the Expert Witness. American Psychological Association (2013).