An organization was established 3 years ago and has earned an outstanding reputation throughout Singapore. It is planning to send a team of 8 of senior level executives to an overseas assignment in their newly established offshore subsidiary for a period of one year to handle different aspects (roles) of an important project that required strong team spirit and creative mind.
You are Human Resource Director of this organization and have been appointed by you CEO to prepare and equip the team members with the necessary knowledge and information of this country and the climate/culture of the overseas subsidiary. This is aimed to assist them to not only survive but also perform well in the overseas assignment as a team.
The CEO prefers to send a good mix of diverse team members for this posting, in attempt to achieve a better level of creativity and innovation. Taking these into consideration, you plan to research on the subsidiary country with regard to its history, climate, culture, language, custom, working style etc. So as to cater to the following diverse characteristics/background of the assignees and their preferences:
– different religion
– different gender
– different family background
– different language
– different diets
– different sports and leisure activities etc.
When researching on the country that the team members are going to stay for the next one year, you must bear in mind that these team members have not worked overseas before. You pre-overseas assignment briefing and training are all very crucial to their performance in future
Requirements of the individual assignment:
1. Introduction of the chosen country and scenario & context of international HRM
2. Organizational design and structure of the overseas subsidiary in comparison with the headquarters in Singapore (Apply Hofstede national cultural dimensions to discuss the differences between home and host countries/culture comparison). (Appendix required: staff profile.)
3. Analysis of the staffing process for the oversea assignment. Critically analyse the staffing strategy of the right candidates for the overseas assignment. E.g. In recruitment, do you want to deploy people from within or recruit employees from outside? For selection, which THREE (3) selection tools (including test) do you want to adopt? (Appendix required. Please create jobs description for the person that sending to overseas. Using JPG Picture format)
4. Analysis on the training and development process of the international assignees. Training and developing the international assignees taking into consideration of the before posting of human resource development. (Pre-departure training, like language skills, nation and culture orientation, personal and family orientation and career planning. Effective pre-departure training culture awareness programs)
5. Analysis of the remuneration package of the international assignees. The remuneration of the international assignees taking into consideration of compensation approach (e.g., balance sheet approach) and of the before and after an overseas posting of remuneration package adjustment. (Appendix required: difference in cost of living depicted)
6. Conclusion (submission and conclusion are well considered and take into account the personnel strategies of the company).
You can choose any country as your host country (except Singapore) to write this essay.
Minimum references: 12 different sources of information.
Words count: 2000 +/- 10%
Citation format: APA style
You should attempt to use Geert Hofstede National Cultural Dimension to compare the parent country and host country, recommended link http://www.clearlycultural.com/geert-hofstede-cultural-dimensions/
Please avoid using the bullet or point forms to write your academic essay.
Introduction of the chosen country and scenario & context of international HRM
Country description is succinct, well written and clear, uses summarization or paraphrasing, includes key attributes of the country & excellent explanations on context of international HRM
Job design and structure of the overseas subsidiary
Significant details in the formulation of Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities for Job Description and Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics for Job Specifications of the overseas subsidiary
Analysis of the staffing process for the overseas assignment
Very good or excellent formulation of staffing strategy based on country chosen in relation to the overseas assignment
Analysis on the training and development process of the international assignees
Very good or excellent formulation of T&D process and limited explanations on consideration of the before- and after the overseas posting of human resource development.
Analysis of the remuneration package of the international assignees
Very good or excellent formulation of remuneration package and limited explanations on consideration of the before- and after overseas posting of human resource development.
Satisfies the stipulated word count of the assignment requirements
Content is well organised with clear paragraphing. Each paragraph support one or two key ideas.
Citations & Referencing
In-text citations done according to APA format with little or no mistakes. Referencing follows the APA format but with little or no mistakes. Sufficient and authoritative resources referenced.