Unit 5 Discussion
It is anticipated that the initial discussion response should be in the range of 250-300 words. Response posts must demonstrate topic knowledge and scholarly engagement with peers. This is not the only criteria utilized for evaluation; substantive content is imperative. All questions in the topic must be addressed. Please proofread your response carefully for grammar and spelling. Do not upload any attachments. All responses need to be supported by a minimum of one scholarly resource. Journals and websites must be cited appropriately. Citation and reference must adhere to APA format.
Discussion Question/Prompt [Due Wednesday]
Read the following case study and answer the posed questions
Case #1: 49-year-female assembly worker at automotive manufacturer presents to your clinic complaining of increasing back pain over the last week. Back pain is in the central low back region and radiates into both gluteal regions – no leg pain. Has been off work for the last 6 months with no improvement in pain.
- Create a list of possible differential diagnoses?
- Discuss the evidence you would need to obtain to rule in or rule out each differential?
- What additional aspects of the history and physical examination could provide relevant information to help in the diagnosis?
Case #2: A 65-year-old Caucasian female has a follow-up appointment with a family orthopedist after visiting the emergency department for a wrist fracture. The orthopedist then turns her case over to you to schedule a bone mineral density (BMD) testing. Results of the BMD test show a T-score of 3.0, indicating osteoporosis. Her past medical history includes mild hypertension which is currently managed with propranolol. She also takes a daily multivitamin. She drinks and smokes occasionally and she has no children or spouse.
- What is the difference between degenerative bone disease and osteoporosis? Explain the pathology of each.
- What treatment options should be discussed with the patient?
- What lifestyle changes should be recommended to the patient?
Responses need to address all components of the question, demonstrate critical thinking and analysis and include peer-reviewed journal evidence to support the student’s position.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.
Please review the rubric to ensure that your response meets the criteria.