Discussion 1 – Week 2
Mindfulness and Perception Checking
It takes a little bit of mindfulness and a little bit of attention to others to be a good listener, which helps cultivate emotional nurturing and engagement.
—Deepak Chopra, Indian-American author, alternative medicine practitioner, physician, and public speaker
Throughout the day, people experience interactions with others that may cause misperceptions. Often people react to a situation before taking the time to clarify misunderstandings. Reacting to a situation before being fully aware of the meaning behind another’s behavior or words often leads to additional confusion and escalating negative feedbacks.
In his quote, Deepak Chopra advocates practicing mindfulness to create successful interpersonal communication environments. What does mindfulness mean? How can it help you build your communication competence? How can you train yourself to be aware of interaction as it occurs and respond appropriately to achieve positive results? How can you be sure your perception of an individual’s behavior is accurate?
In this discussion, consider an interpersonal communication scenario involving confusion on the part of both participants. You examine how mindfulness and perception checking can change interpersonal communication outcomes
To prepare for this Discussion, pay particular attention to the following learning resources
Review this week’s Learning Resources, especially:
- Huston, D. C., Garland, E. L., & Farb, N. A. S. (2011). Mechanisms of mindfulness in communication training. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 39(4), 406–421.
- Laureate Education (Producer). (2014). Interpersonal communication case study: Interpersonal conflict [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
- TED. (Producer). (2012). Amy Cuddy: Your body language may shape who you are [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are
By Day 3
Post a cohesive response based on your analysis of the learning resources and your professional experience including the following:
- Consider the factors that contributed to Alberto and Kathy’s interpersonal communication behavior.
- Describe the personal variables that contribute to the interpersonal communication behaviors you saw in this situation.
- Imagine Alberto’s perception of Kathy’s interpersonal communication and Kathy’s perception of Alberto’s interpersonal communication.
- Identify one instance in the video where there was a misperception.
- Analyze the impact this misperception had on communication
- Explain how mindfulness could have improved the verbal and nonverbal communication in this case. Be sure to state any assumptions you need to make.
- Think about an example from your own experience where you were part of or witnessed a professional dialogue (do not disclose names).
- Briefly describe the scenario, including the behaviors you observed and how those behaviors may have contributed to the outcome of the communication.
- Evaluate the extent to which you think mindfulness was exercised in your example. If your example demonstrates the positive impact of mindfulness, be sure to illustrate how it benefited the outcome. If your example depicts a scenario where the parties did not employ mindfulness, explain how mindfulness might have affected the outcome of the communication and what you would suggest to the parties for future communications.
Be sure to support your ideas by connecting them to the week’s Learning Resources, as well as other credible resources you have read; or what you have observed and experienced.
General Guidance: Your original post, due by Day 3, will typically be 3 or 4 paragraphs in length, as a general expectation/estimate. Refer to the Week 2 Discussion 1 Rubric for grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use the rubric to assess your work
Read a selection of your peers’ postings.
Respond to at least two of your peers’ postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Discuss how your interpretation of the interpersonal communication demonstrated within the video may differ from that of your peers.
- Share an insight about what you learned from having read your peer’s post and discuss how and why your peer’s posting resonated with you professionally and/or personally or how it will impact your own mindfulness with regards to interpersonal communication.
- Offer an example, from your experience or observation that validates what your peer presented.
- Offer specific suggestions that will help your peer build upon his or her own mindfulness in interpersonal communication and explain why you think your suggestions will be of benefit based on what you learned this week and your own experiences.
- Share how something your peer discussed changed the way you view misperceptions and how you will improve your own mindfulness.